The lawn cemetery is situated on the western side of Sacred Heart College in a quiet, sunny, peaceful part of the grounds. The cemetery was commenced in 1878 when Sister Mary Getrude O'Farrell died and at the present time contains more than 90 graves, including those of two priests, Rev. Fr Percy Jones and Fr Sydney Lennon. A fifty year ban was placed on the cemetery in 1897, during the ban 56 sisters were buried in the East Geelong Cemetery.
Three of the four nuns who founded Sacred Heart College are buried alongside one another, Rev. Mother Xavier Maguire, Rev. Mother Gabriel Sherlock and Rev. Mother Margaret Mullally. Sister Regis Manly, the fourth foundress died when the ban was in place and is buried at the East Geelong Cemetery.
Initally, the graves were marked by sandstone crosses but over the years these deteriorated and were replaced by brass plaques.
A white marble monument with a Celtic cross is set in the middle of the cemetery. There are two Latin inscriptions on the monument and translated they read "Rise Brides of Christ" and "Through the Cross into the Light". This monument was donated by Miss Mansfield, a past pupil and boarder of Sacred Heart College.