October 9th - The new St Catherine's Orphanage building opens in Highton and the orphans move to the new building. Archbishop Mannix, officially opens and blesses the new orphanage on November 11, 1928, in front of a large crowd. Following the departure of the orphans from Newtown, the school expands its boarding facilities and classrooms.
St Catherines Girls Orphanage, executive committee 1928. Archbishop Mannix is 3rd from right.